Friday, March 1, 2013

WIPs and changes in my process

Some current WIP stuff I'm doing. Inking on the Community piece and a Gravity Falls piece I started last night. I've also got another one in the works that is near completion and in color, which is something I haven't done in awhile and need to get back into.. I will do my best to color these as well.



So something new I'm trying with these is using a resolution that I'm not too comfortable with right now. With most of my work, I work at 300 ppi at about 1000x1000 px and scale the canvas up if need be. While this has worked pretty well for me in the past, I've started wanted more crisp and clean lines when getting into the fine detailing. So now, I'm still working at 300, but starting with a bigger canvas. For example, my starting size is the standard paper size 8.5 x 11 inches, or 2550 x 3300, and then again, scale up the canvas  if need be.

Currently, the Community piece is at 11000 x 3300, which honestly, I don't think I've ever worked on a drawing at that size. When sketching at that size, it's a little challenging to get into, but after getting used to the size and the changes you have to put into your pen strokes as well as pressure, it becomes pretty comfortable. Inking on the other hand is a monster I'm trying very hard to tackle. I wanted clean crisp lines, but sometimes I feel like it's TOO clean and TOO crisp that all my mistakes and crappy line strokes just stand out so much. It takes a lot of concentration to not get wiggly lines or to get that angle you're trying to achieve. Last night I felt like I was sort of getting used to it, but then got frustrated when I realized that it took me half an hour to cover only a small portion of the drawing. But I need to be patient and let my mind and hand coordinate and learn. I just need to keep drawing, period.

I know it was nearly a month since I last posted, and honestly, it's because I was so unmotivated. Thankfully something finally clicked and I was able to jump back in. Also, I'm finding it helpful to be working on multiple pieces at once so that I can take breaks from one thing and see it with fresh eyes later.

And as I mentioned earlier, I'm working on some colored pieces, one of which I have owed my friend for a very long time, and he's been very patient with me, which I am thankful for.. (Sorry, Ray!) I've also got a few other drawings I need to start for people who were interested in commissioning me.. Oof, so behind with everything..

One more thing... Emerald City Comicon starts today! I should actually probably get ready to go.. This convention is hands down my favorite in the area. Art, artists, merchandise, toys, I couldn't ask for anything more. Other than a few extra dollars to spend there :)

No comments: