Saturday, March 2, 2013

ECCC Day 1

Wow! It's been a fantastic weekend so far at Emerald City Comicon. I wanted to write about how awesome day 1 was last night, but I got home around 10:00 and pretty much collapsed.. (yeah, I'm old.. on the inside.) But for sure, had an exciting and eventful day. First of all, they've expanded. A LOT. There were more booths to check out, more areas to explore, and a lot more walking room. After attending the Penny Arcade Expo every year, I know how crowded that building can get, and honestly, with the show size as it currently is, I wouldn't want it to get any bigger, show-wise or crowd-wise. Although Saturday was a lot more crowded than Friday, it was still a lot easier to get around than at PAX.

One of our first stops on day 1 was to check out Tyson Hesse's booth. It may have been because we were the first people to see him last year, but he said he remembered my face.. haha! I'm glad I'm memorable in some way! Lisa and I talked with him a bit, and picked up his B9 book, which is full of really awesome work. This guy never ceases to amaze me. If you haven't read Boxer Hockey, start right now!

While at the B9 booth, we stopped by Yuko and Ananth's table and had them sign our Johnny Wander Vol. 2 and 3. Lisa is a big fan of Johnny Wander and has been a long time reader. For the past couple years, she's always said strange things to me, or performed some kind of weird act, which if I asked what she was doing, she'd say it was a Johnny Wander reference. I had read it from time to time, but never gave it the attention it deserved.. It wasn't until not even a month ago that I started reading Vol. 1. It took me a week, as I was reading it off and on while on the bus, but as soon as I finished, I was immediately onto Vol. 2, which I finished in 2 days, then onto Vol. 3, which I finished in a day. I then proceeded to read the rest online! As you can guess, I was hooked. I have to say, that it was quite the treat meeting those two. I feel inclined to draw what exactly happened because what we witnessed was straight out of their comic-selves in Johnny Wander, which has convinced me that not a single thing in Johnny Wander is exaggerated. So yeah, I could tell the story, or I could have a fun drawing to do. You'll have to wait a few days, but if you've read Johnny Wander, you will (hopefully) find it funny.

Another artist I was excited to meet was Cory Walker. Cory, along with Robert Kirkman, created the series "Invincible", which is definitely one of my top favorite ongoing comics right now. Cory is no longer the main artist on Invincible, but it's always fun seeing him pop in every now and then to do an issue. There's something about his art that really draws me in. I tried explaining it to him the best I could, but he was probably confused about what the hell I was talking about! Honestly, it's hard to describe it, but it's a mix of simplicity and softness that he puts in his art that really reads as something welcoming and well refined. Almost caricature-like, and I love it.

The rest of Day 1 consisted of me trying not to spend all my money on various goodies, while trying to make the rounds to see everything. The day ended with Christopher Lloyd's (Back to the Future!) Q&A panel, and the continuation of last years voice actor script reading of Star Wars: A New Hope. Many laughs were had, and it was a great way to end the first day of the con.

To be continued...

No comments: