Saturday, December 8, 2012

Leyendecker


Lisa got this book for me today. I've been wanting a Leyendecker book for some time now because his work is of some of the few classics that really speak to me. I'd like to study the way he approached his paintings and in the process bring some experimenting with his style into my own art. I just really love how he does both sharp and smooth strokes, which oddly enough speaks to me as being static, but not stiff nor lifeless. His paintings are very much alive and express a lot through movement, style, and technique. One thing that really fascinates me is his use of shading, where he'll use a thick brush to lay down parallel strokes, but just do enough and in the right length and direction, that it doesn't look too busy or wrong. They just fit with everything else and actually help give life to the piece. I'm excited to jump in and see what I learn.

More Leyendecker art can be found here.

No comments: