Thursday, March 10, 2011

Learnin' Inks!

First, I’ve got a sketch of Patrick Rothfuss, author of the recently released “The Wise Man’s Fear.” I haven’t read any of his books, but my girlfriend is a huge fan, so we went to one of his book signings, which was when I sketched this. We were across the room at the time, and I kept telling myself, “damn, I bet he’s gonna look so different from my drawing once we get closer..” Turns out, he did. He looked a lot more friendly, and a lot less menacing as I had depicted him. Though I did show him the sketch and he did enjoy it, stating that I made him look awesome!

So, I went to Emerald City Comicon over the weekend and became super inspired to learn traditional pens and markers. Here’s the first two pieces of my new learning path! Really trying to pay attention to line weights and confident line strokes. Also, I’m not using a whole lot of markers.. I thought I should start out small and get to know a few select number of colors before going all out.

And to credit my references.. well, I can’t credit the girl with the fuzzy coat.. I’m not sure who she is or what the photo I referenced is from. It’s just something I found online :\ As for the Super Girl, I referenced a photo of a cosplayer.. I think she goes by the name Jenn?



No comments: